Woods Clinches Fed Ex Cup Title to Highlight a Fantastic Regular Season for Nike Golf Around the Globe
The 2009 regular season has stood out as another banner year for Nike Golf and its athletes around the globe. The season has been highlighted by the domination of major championship victories by Nike Golf athletes; 14 wins around the globe; 10 victories on the PGA Tour; one victory on the LPGA Tour; summer domination featuring Nike athletes on a remarkable winning streak; and Tiger Woods clinching the season-ending Fed Ex Cup title to cap off a truly consistent year for the world’s number one player. Woods won six times in 2009 and finished no worse than second in nine of his last 17 tournaments.
Following are more specific Nike Golf key highlights in the regular 2009 season:
- Nike Golf athletes dominated the majors by winning half of them — Lucas Glover won the U.S. Open. Stewart Cink won The OPEN Championship.
- Glover and Cink became the first players to win a major championship using a square-shape driver. Both used the Nike SQ SUMO² (squared) Tour driver.
- For the first time a Nike putter was used to win a major championship. Glover and Cink both used the new Nike METHOD putter for their major championship titles.
- Paul Casey and Bo Van Pelt both claimed a PGA TOUR title at the Shell Houston Open and U.S. Bank Championship, respectively.
- Suzann Pettersen won the CN Canadian Women’s Open on the LPGA Tour.
- Paul Casey and Simon Dyson each grabbed victories on the PGA European Tour; Casey won twice and Dyson claimed one title.
- During the summer, from June 21 – September 22, Nike Golf athletes won seven out of 15 PGA Tour events.
- Nike Golf athletes end the regular 2009 season atop the World Golf Rankings with 5 athletes in the top-25: Tiger Woods (1st), Paul Casey (4th), Stewart Cink (12th), Lucas Glover (17th) and Anthony Kim (21st).
En route to their successful 2009 seasons, each of the triumphant Nike Golf athletes played with Nike SQ drivers; Nike irons; Nike ONE Balls and were clad in Nike Golf apparel and Nike Golf footwear.
Editor’s Note: The post above is from a press release from Nike Golf.