A few weeks back we got a sneak peek of the new Victory Red Cast V-Rev wedges in a photo tweeted from Nike Golf’s tour van (see photo below). Today Nike Golf officially released their new VR Cast V-Rev wedges, and they are now available at retail in both satin chrome and black satin. These wedges feature a new groove design that conforms to the new USGA and R&A rules, and are manufactured from 8620 carbon steel that’s 45% softer than 17-4 stainless steel.
I was able to see these new wedges in person on my tour of The Oven (see photo below), and they are sweet. Rob Burbick (aka Nike Rob) showed these to me and explained that the sole grind removes material from both the heel and toe, a grind preferred by Nike’s tour athletes so they can open the face as wide as needed on a particular shot (especially because of the toe grind).
I particularly like the styling of these wedges – the diamond pattern on the back side (missing on the previous VR wedges) reflects the one used in the rest of the VR line. And I particularly like how the loft and bounce graphics have been moved from the sole to the back side, creating a uniformly a smooth surface across the entire sole.
I hope to have a review of these wedges up on the blog soon. In the meantime keep your eyes out for these sweet new wedges to arrive at your local golf retailer very soon.
Here’s the official information from Nike Golf:
VICTORY RED CAST V-REV WEDGES
- New V-Rev groove design to conform to the new USGA/R&A rules.
- Dual Sole design for versatility in multiple conditions.
- The profile of the VR V-Rev wedges are preferred and played by many of Nike Golf’s tour professionals.
- Constructed from feel enhancing 8620 carbon steel (45% softer than 17-4 stainless).
- The VR V-Rev wedges are available in satin chrome and black satin. While the black satin will rust over time, many Tour players prefer this finish because of its feel and resistance to glare.
- Nike Crossline grips by Lamkin Grips.
Available loft/bounce combinations: 52/10 54/12 56/10 56/14 58/6 58/10 60/6 60/10