What a week! There has already been a lot of coverage and early mornings over the past 4 days, but what a ride. Europe took out a win with McDowell as the hero. Most impressive to me was Luke Donald. I’ve been drinking his kool-aid for more than the past year and I hope the world got a taste of that this week. There were a lot of highlights, but I’ll try and hit those in the my closing thoughts.
Anyway, I’ll recap the NG Nation Staff Picks: Ryder Cup Edition and then leave you with my closing thoughts down below. Let’s get to it and see how the NG Nation Staff did with their picks.
Winning Team :: Team Europe 14.5 – Team USA 13.5
Alan :: Europe 16.5-11.5 | Bob :: Europe 17 – 11 | Damian :: Europe 15-13
Well, we all picked the winning team correctly, but I think I can agree that all of us thought that the way the Euros were playing, along with homefield advantage, would give them the win. I think we can say that the US showed a lot of heart and battled hard on Sunday. I picked this one fairly closely.
Top Performer :: Luke Donald and Ian Poulter (both 3-1-0)
Alan :: Kaymer | Bob :: Poulter | Damian :: McIlroy
This was a tough call. However, I call it a draw since Poulter destroyed Kuchar, similarly to how Donald and Westwood destroyed Woods and Cink. You could make the case for Poulter due to his energy. But Luke Donald was the best player this weekend by far. He was absolutely clutch. Great prediction by Bob.
Top Nike Athlete :: Tiger Woods
Alan :: Tiger Woods | Bob :: Francesco Molinari | Damian :: Francesco Molinari
The case for Cink (undefeated at 1-0-3) would be a good one, since he did carry Kuchar. However, Tiger looked dominant in Singles, especially being 2 down thru 2. I give the nod to Tiger because he looked like he was having fun and playing that way on Monday. Great call by Alan here.
All in all, if you combine the brains of the NG Nation staff, we did pretty good.
Now onto my closing thoughts;
- I think we saw every major winner in action this weekend; Tiger, Westwood, Donald and whoever. But that’s my call right now.
- Lots of heart by Overton. I counted him out when he was down 2 early to Fisher. I thought that a blowout would have ruined his 2011 season, but the way he fought back…man, the kid gets a win next year. Count it.
- Stewart Cink was money. He was consistent, grinded and putted like a champion for the US. No surprises there. Look for Cink to rebound from a great year.
- I really can’t stand Borey Pavin. The apparel was a disaster and he just has no emotion. He’s like the boring neighbour you are stuck talking to for hours. Azinger again or DL3 for next captain, please. Euros should keep Monty.
- Speaking of Davis Love III…tell me he’s not pumped up to get a winning feeling as he’s playing in (and hosting) the first McGladrey Classic on the PGA Tour Fall Series. Kuchar and ZJ will also be playing, but will they be too exhausted? That makes me think of Paul Casey flying back to Canada after his Top 10 at The Open, then missing the cut. These guys could be drained.
- Another good segue there, as Paul Casey should have been on this team. Hanson did impress, but I think a lot of people would rather have Casey there instead of a Molinari or Hanson.
- The Super Molinari Bros disappointed, no question. I believe they were both extremley nervous; Francesco showed it, while Edoardo tried to mask it my pumping up the crowd.
- Mickelson and Pavin were the 2 guys following Fowler and talking to him. Gotta think Mickelson found a good guy to mentor. I gained a lot of respect for Fowler.
- I loved the Westwood/Stricker and Donald/Furyk singles matches. It was like watching the same player compete against themselves. They’re all so clutch and similar that it really showed some of the best golf the world has to offer.
- Tiger gets at least 3 wins in 2011.
- Europe gets the win in 2012. Boom, baby.