The Nike Swoosh Win Streak Continues with Paul Casey’s Victory on the PGA European Tour
And Nike athlete and PGA Tour rookie Jhonattan Vegas produces another impressive performance
The winning streak by Nike athletes early in the 2011 season continues with Paul Casey’s victory at the European Tour’s Volvo Golf Champions. Casey’s triumph brings to five the number of wins around the globe by Nike athletes — three on the European Tour and one each on the PGA Tour and Champions Tour.
Casey, with the help of his Nike Method putter, sank a six-foot par-saving putt to seal his 11thEuropean Tour title by one stroke. “It feels fantastic,” said Casey. “The most important thing to me is winning and that was huge.” His Volvo Golf Champions victory is the 12th title of his professional career.
Assisting him to his first title since the 2009 BMW PGA Championship were his Nike VR Tour 10.5-degree driver and the new Nike VR Pro Combo irons. This win moves him to sixth in the world rankings, marking a good start towards a comeback after losing his third spot in the world rankings in 2009 when he suffered a rib injury.
Also highlighting the success of Nike Golf athletes this past week on the PGA Tour was rookie Jhonattan Vegas, who finished tied for third place at the Farmers Insurance Open. This performance was a notable one given that he was coming off his first victory on the PGA Tour the prior week, and is now ranked first on the PGA Tour money list. He also becomes the first rookie to lead the FedExCup standings. Anthony Kim, also a Nike athlete, finished tied for sixth last week.
Casey, Vegas and Kim all used Nike’s VR clubs, Nike ONE balls, sported Nike Golf apparel and the new Nike Lunar Control footwear.
Casey’s Nike Arsenal
- Driver: Nike VR Tour 10.5-degree
- Fairway Woods: Nike SQ ll 15-degree/3-wood; Nike SQ ll 19-degree/5-wood
- Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo (3-PW)
- Wedges: Nike VR 52 and 59-degree
- Putter: Nike Method 001
- Ball: Nike ONE Tour
- Apparel: Nike Golf Tour Collection
- Footwear: Nike Lunar Control
Nike Golf’s 2011 PGA Tour Victories
- Jhonattan Vegas – Bob Hope Classic
Nike Golf’s 2011 International Victories
- Paul Casey – Volvo Golf Champions (PGA European Tour)
- Charl Schwartzel – Joburg Open (PGA European Tour)
- Pablo Martin – Alfred Dunhill Championship (PGA European Tour)
Nike Golf’s 2011 Champions Tour Victories
- John Cook – Mitsubishi Electric Championship at Hualalai
*Editor’s Note: The post above is from a press release from Nike Golf.