After shooting even par during yesterday’s opening round at the Shell Houston Open at Redstone Golf Club, Kim showed up on today’s back nine to start his second round in the fog. On a day when he was missing drives left and right, the young star demonstrated poise and resolve and hit some beautiful golf shots to shoot a 31 opening nine to get to 5-under. AK finished the day at -8 and is currently tied for the lead. His round included:
- A 22-foot birdie on the 12th hole
- Playing his drive from the far right rough on 13 safely back into the fairway and then getting up and down to make birdie on the 590 yard par-5
- Draining a 21-foot birdie after hitting out of a fairway bunker from 70 yards on the 15th hole
- Chipping a 20-yard shot from off the green for birdie on the par-3 16th hole
- Making birdie on the 488 yard par-4 18th hole by making a 24-foot putt
- Hitting out of the fairway bunker 116 yard to 4-feet for an easy birdie putt on 1
- Darting his approach on 3 to 20 inches for a birdie putt
- Hitting a 27-yard chip to 14 inches for an easy birdie putt
So what was it? The calm weather conditions? The untouched greens? or maybe the new flat-brimmed 20XI Nike hat? (UPDATE: OR was it the new Zoom Trophy with the limited edition green footbed??? – Hopefully pics to comes soon) You decide.
Here’s to hoping AK goes lower and repeats as champion.