– Marks the Third Major Title with Nike’s Method Putter –
Nike athlete Charl Schwartzel played spectacular golf on a high-energy Masters Sunday to secure his first major championship win and move to 11th in the world golf rankings. A dazzling streak of four birdies on the final holes of Augusta National separated Schwartzel from a crowded Masters leaderboard and earned him a two-stroke victory and the green jacket. With a full bag of 14 Nike clubs, Schwartzel captured his second victory of 2011, the seventh of his career, and the first on the PGA Tour.
The 26-year-old South African’s run for the green jacket honor began quickly in the final round with a chip-in birdie at the first, and an eagle on the third, where he holed his second shot from the fairway using his Nike VR Pro 54-degree wedge. Thereafter, Schwartzel used the precision of his Nike Golf arsenal of VR Tour driver and VR Pro blades to stay within a pack of seven players, including Nike Athlete Tiger Woods, who each held or shared the lead at some point during the last 18 holes.
Schwartzel, who ranked second in the field in putting with his Nike Method 004 prototype putter, carded his fourth straight birdie on the 72nd hole to seal his victory. His victory marks the third major championship win for the Nike Method putter, and the 19th global tour win.
Sporting Nike Dri-FIT apparel throughout the week, Schwartzel was able to stay cool in the Augusta heat. Providing both style and performance, he also wore the tour-proven Nike Lunar Control shoe.
Also highlighting the success of fellow Nike athlete Tiger Woods who finished tied for fourth at The Masters and is now fifth in the World Rankings. Woods also had 14 Nike clubs in his arsenal, including the Nike Method 003 putter.
Schwartzel’s Nike Arsenal
- Driver: Nike VR Tour 8.5-degree
- Fairway Woods: Nike SQ Sumo 13-degree/3-wood and 19-degree/5-wood
- Irons: Nike VR Pro Blade (3-PW)
- Wedges: Nike VR Pro 54-degree and Nike VR Pro 59-degree
- Putter: Nike Method 004 Prototype
- Ball: Nike ONE Tour D
- Apparel: Nike Golf Tour Collection & Nike Golf Tiger Woods Collection
- Footwear: Nike Lunar Control
Nike Golf’s 2011 PGA Tour Victories
- Charl Schwartzel – The Masters Tournament
- Jhonattan Vegas – Bob Hope Classic
Nike Golf’s 2011 International Victories
- Paul Casey – Volvo Golf Champions (PGA European Tour)
- Charl Schwartzel – Joburg Open (PGA European Tour)
- Pablo Martin – Alfred Dunhill Championship (PGA European Tour)
Nike Golf’s 2011 Champions Tour Victories
- John Cook – Mitsubishi Electric Championship at Hualalai
Editor’s Note: The post above is from a press release from Nike Golf.