Nike Golf Athlete Rory McIlroy Rallies to Win his Second Major Championship this Season
-McIlroy captures second career Wanamaker Trophy with 14 Nike clubs and RZN Black ball in the bag-
Nike Golf Athlete Rory McIlroy pushed through in the final round of the PGA Championship to win his second straight major championship and remind his competitors that he’s still in control of his remarkable play. He is the first to win three straight PGA Tour starts since fellow Nike athlete Tiger Woods in 2007-2008. His victory marks the second time he’s won the Wanamaker trophy in three years.
The number one player in the world gutted it out for the entire round. The game changer was on the 10th hole. Sitting three shots back, McIlroy hit his Nike Covert 2.0 3-wood on the par 5 to within seven feet of the hole and sank the putt for eagle with his Nike Method 006 putter.
He built a two-stroke lead with a 10-foot birdie putt at the 17th and sealed his win with a par on the 18th hole.
“I’ve never won three times in a row. And I’ve never won back-to-back majors,” said McIlroy. “It’s a whole new experience for me doing what I’ve done this summer, so I’m trying to let it all sink in.”
On the body, McIlroy sported apparel from Nike Golf’s Performance Collection and the Nike Lunar Control shoe.
McIlroy’s Nike Golf Arsenal
Driver: Nike VRS Covert 2.0 Tour 8.5-degree (Kuro Kage XTS 70X)
Fairway Wood: Nike VRS Covert 2.0 3-wood/15-degree and Nike VRS Covert 5-wood/19-degree
Irons: Nike VR Pro Blade (4-9)
Wedges: VR Forged 46-degree, 52-degree, 56-degree and 59-degree
Putter: Nike Method 006
Ball: Nike RZN Black
Nike Golf’s 2014 PGA Tour Victories
· Russell Henley – Honda Classic
· Seung-Yul Noh – Zurich Classic
· Rory McIlroy – The Open Championship
· Rory McIlroy – WGC – Bridgestone Invitational
· Rory McIlroy – PGA Championship
Nike Golf’s 2014 International Victories
· Charl Schwartzel – Alfred Dunhill Championship (European Tour)
· Ross Fisher – Tshwane Open (European Tour)
· Rory McIlroy – BMW PGA Championship (European Tour)
· Xin-Jun Zhang – Beijing Open (PGA Tour China)
Nike Golf’s 2014 LPGA Tour Victories
· Michelle Wie – LPGA LOTTE Championship
· Michelle Wie – U.S. Women’s Open
Nike Golf’s 2014 Ladies International Victories
· Cheyenne Woods – Volvic RACV Ladies Masters
Editor’s Note: The post above is from a press release from Nike Golf.